Regional Honor Band Etudes
Falcon Symphonic Band Audition Requirements:
Winds: Etude 1 & Percussion: Xylo Etude (current regional set)
Perform your Eb Major (3 flats) and your D Major (2 sharps) scales.
- Perform either live by making an appointment with a director OR via video recording (where your playing technique is visible).
- While we would like to hear Etude 1 performed as close to the written tempo as possible, it is better to slow down the performance to be more accurate than to perform fast and make lots of mistakes.
- Scales should be performed in as many octaves as your skill comfortably allows. Percussion should perform 2 octaves.
- All auditions must be completed prior to the start of the school year. Any auditions performed after the first day of school are subject to counselor approval for any schedule changes as a result of making the ensemble.
- Students who have not met the audition criteria for Symphonic Band but have experience playing a wind or percussion instrument will be placed in Concert Band (Intermediate ensemble).
Greater Phoenix Honor Band Audition Requirements:
- Etudes 1 & 2
- 2 Scales (announced during the fall semester)
- Chromatic Scale (your full range, performed in triplets)
- Etudes 1, 2, & 3 (current regional set)
- 3 Scales (announced during the fall semester)
- All audition requirements are to be performed via audio recording in either mp3 or wav format.
- All auditions must be completed and/or e-mailed in by the end of Thanksgiving weekend (Sunday of the holiday break by midnight).
- While all etudes should be performed as close to the written tempo as possible, it is better to slow down the performance to be more accurate than to perform fast and make lots of mistakes.
- Scales should be performed in the number of octaves noted for each instrument. Performing fewer octaves than required will result in a lower score.
- SYMPHONIC STUDENTS ONLY: Honor Band Auditions are required for completion of the Honors component of the fall semester. Failure to complete an Honor Band Audition will result in the loss of 1 letter grade, making the maximum grade possible for the fall semester a B.
Regional Honor Band Requirements:
Etudes 1, 2, & 3 for all musicians.
Scales up to 4 flats or 4 sharps (not announced until the day of auditions)
- Auditions are optional and available to all students at a cost of $25.00 to be paid to the bookstore by November 1st.
- Full scholarships are available for any student in Symphonic Band who pre-auditions to show dedication to the audition process by November 1st.
- Auditions take place on a Saturday in late January at a designated campus and will be “live” (performed to a judge in the room who is seated behind a curtain).
- All Etudes should be performed at tempo.
- All scales should be performed at the maximum number of octaves listed in the AMEA handbook.
- SCHOLARSHIP STUDENTS: Students who sign up for auditions and receive a scholarship to do so must audition. Failure to show up to auditions will result in a fee of $25.00 that must be paid to the bookstore to repay the non-refundable audition fee.